Sunday, April 21, 2013

Suddenly spring - or not

  Friday we were at 73 degrees,  so lovely.  Friday night a torrential rain storm hit with wind and tornado conditions in someplaces.  Yesterday it was 40 degrees, last night it went down to 20 here at the GS camp.  Brrr.
    Still, May is rapidly approaching so Spring tasks must happen.  Last year my bee hives became infested with wax moths - YUCK!  They are disgusting and leave a webby mess in the comb.  So before my two packages of bees arrive in May I need to clean out the hive, add new foundation to most of the frames, and figure out how to heat the plasticell foundation enough to kill the eggs that might be there and not melt the plastic.  This is one task I am NOT looking forward to. 
     My husband and I are going over the merits of various apple types as we look through all the catalogues.  He prefers some of the modern hybrids; I am all all about the older varieties.  Compromise may come with him having the hybrid apples and me eventually getting a few rare/heritage breed sheep. I have had my eye on Leicester Longwools and Navajo-Churros, but I also love the look of Jacobs and feel of Icelandic wool, so - who knows.  The planning is half the fun!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment