Current list of projects:
- *Costume design for the opera Street Scene - we open in two weeks and I suppose I should be madly working on that, but I needed a sanity break. There are forty actors in this show.
- *Designing costumes for BATBOY:The Musical
- * knitting a sweater for myself with bulky weight wool - not a fashion statement sweater, more of a "I feel crappy and want comfort food and chocolate" kind of sweater
- *must make a matching hat for the bright red wool scarf my youngest son wanted. Why it HAD to be red I do not know - his coat is orange and grey.
- * sweater for the hubby
- * Finishing a woolen patchwork memory quilt for my sister. This was her 2009 Christmas present which I hope to complete before the winter ends and it needs to be put away for the summer. I am not a quilter - there are people who are true quilting artists, I do not think I am one of them. I am not sure I have the patience for that - I am certain I do not have the time. I started using woolen pants and skirts bought from the thrift store. The cost of new woolen fabric was running about 24.99 per yard, so I used fabric I had in my stash at home, and for a lot less than new, got woolen fabric from skirts and pants. Really lovely cloth for accents. The overall colour scheme is grey, navy, dark green,, black and tan. There are a few accents pieces of bright red and cream. On several squares I have felted images or word from my sister's life - her wedding date, her children's names, silhouettes of her dogs and cats, and other things which make up her daily life.
- Teaching myself to spin using a drop spindle.
- keeping bees - which I will grant you, doesn't require a lot of effort during the winter, just some prep for the coming spring and some worry about whether they will make it through the frigid upstate NY weather.
- Two project for which I got grant money through the SUNY Creative Activities grant. Faces of the Goddess is a series of masks representing women in the three classical stages - young maiden, fertile mother, and wise crone. I am using various mediums as well as some characters from theatre. The following are some shots of the creation of a Juliet mask made with felt and paper.
So rather than prolonging the procrastination, I leave you with this thought: Do not forget the need in Haiti, even as it slips from the headline. Help if you can.