Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tractors and bridles and hats

   It is no secret to most who know me that I long to own a small farm.  Just a few acres - 10 or so would do - to have some sheep, a few chickens and possibly a reason to own a  border collie.  We own one now, but all she has ever herded was the children.  I look through the  "farm and land" sections of the realty sites on a regular basis planning what each parcel or plot could produce.
   Currently, I am designing the costumes for a production of Pump Boys and the Dinettes. This production needs some specific things which "regular" stores did not hold, so I happily drove down the road a piece to the Tractor Supply Co.  Walking in that store your senses are bombarded with the scents of leather and cedar and oil and rubber.  There are bridles and dog beds, rabbit food and barn boots.  The tractors are out on the lot, and the only colors in the paint aisle coordinate with John Deere green or Ford engine block blue and the like.
    I went in seeking fishing hats.  You know, the silly ones you can pin fishing lures to like McLean Stevenson wore  for his character on M*A*S*H.  They had them.  Of course they did.  My daughter and I wandered amongst the barn boots - we'd already bought her a pair, and the cowboy hats - she desperately wanted one.   I looked at the equine aisle, and said no to buying a bridle on the off chance that someday we might need it.  I looked at rabbit food and imagined a small hutch with angora bunnies waiting for me to spin their fur. We left with a small dog bed and collar for Libby, as well as a straw cowboy hat for  my daughter to wear when she and her friends go "adventuring" around the town and parks.
All in all, a good trip.

The aforementioned hat - and a silly face!

No comments:

Post a Comment