Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A.A. Milne really understood

Now We are Six (1927)

  • When I was One,
    I had just begun.
    When I was Two,
    I was nearly new.
    When I was Three
    I was hardly me.
    When I was Four,
    I was not much more.
    When I was Five,
    I was just alive.
    But now I am Six,
    I'm as clever as clever,
    So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever. 

I recall my eighth birthday - the party was planned and friends were coming.  Mommy made an snowman shaped cake as I was born late in the year.  I wanted the party.  But I did not want to turn eight.   I wanted to stay seven.  Eight meant third grade and learning cursive and having homework and "times tables" and eight meant growing up.  I think I have a bit of Pooh bear in me - or perhaps Peter Pan.  I get weary of being an adult.  Let's all head to the Hundred Acre Wood for a picnic.  I'll bring the honey.

"Pooh, promise you won't forget  about  me,  ever.  Not
even when I'm a hundred."
        Pooh thought for a little.
        "How old shall I be then?"
        "Ninety-nine."
        Pooh nodded.
        "I promise," he said.
        Still  with his eyes on the world Christopher 
Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.
        "Pooh," said Christopher Robin earnestly, "if 
I--if I'm not quite" he stopped  and  tried  again  --".
Pooh,  whatever happens, you will understand, won't you?"
        "Understand what?"
        "Oh, nothing." He laughed and jumped to his feet. 
"Come on!"
        "Where?" said Pooh.
        "Anywhere," said Christopher Robin.


        So  they  went  off together. But wherever they 
go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that 
enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy 
and his Bear will always  be playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment